681: Grateful to His Eminence Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche for Saving Our Family

Praise be unto H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche, His Holiness the Drikung Kyabgon Chetsang, Dharma Protector Achi, the Lineage Gurus, and the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas! I am Huang Yizhe of Group Seven and my family members are my father, Huang Biaoqi, of Group Three, my mother, Liu Fanglan, of Group Two, my wife, Wang Xiaomin, of Group Six, and my daughter, Huang Yanrui, of Group Six. I am grateful to H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche for this opportunity to share an account of how he has helped my family and allow me to make a public repentance.

At around midday on April 13th, 2009, I received a phone call informing me that my son appeared to be lifeless and was being sent to the emergency room for urgent care. When I hurried over to the hospital, a doctor told me that my son had had no pulse and had stopped breathing upon arrival, and asked whether I would like them to abandon any further resuscitation attempts. Seeing my son’s body lying on the bed, I touched him, and discovered that he no longer had any warmth at all. This child, whom I had hugged goodbye when I’d left home that morning, had now turned into an icy cadaver. Although I was unable to accept it, I also understood that nothing could be done, so I consented to the doctor’s abandonment of resuscitation. Afterward, my son’s corpse was transferred to the hospital’s morgue. I then rushed over to my wife’s workplace to deliver the news of our son’s passing, and to take her back there to see him one last time.

On the way to the hospital after picking up my wife, we received a phone call from a colleague and Dharma brother working at the Glorious Jewel Chinese Medicine Clinic. She asked us to go to the Glorious Jewel Buddhist Center first to make prostrations before a Dharma photo of H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche. After we got there and had made our prostrations, the guru called to ask our child’s name and zodiac sign. Immediately after that, we rushed back to the hospital morgue, where we found our boy wearing quite a peaceful expression on his face, as if he were simply sleeping. From his nostrils blood flowed continuously, and all four of his limbs were supple—and they remained so even until that evening, though he had been dead for more than eight hours already; when I placed his body into the refrigeration unit, it still was like this.

On the morning of April 14th, a public procurator came to examine our son’s body; because he had died a sudden death for reasons unknown, the procurator had to set a date for autopsy to determine the cause of death. However, not wanting our child’s body to be harmed, we asked the procurator not to do the autopsy, but he refused. That evening our entire family went to seek an audience with H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche. The guru told us that our ancestors had heavy karma from killing through raising livestock, and that this was why such karmic retribution had befallen us. He also said that our child was now better off than he was, and said that it was okay for us to miss him but that we should not be sorrowful. We should just think that our boy had gone to study overseas in a faraway place. At the same time, the guru told us that our whole family should become vegetarian and participate in the Chod Pujas. Because my wife was two months pregnant at the time, H.E. Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche specially instructed her not to let herself be overly grieved, for she had to pay attention to the wellbeing of her fetus.

On April 15th, I received a phone call from a court clerk saying that our child’s case had been transferred to the Institute of Forensic Medicine. The proprietor of the funeral home said that in his experience, as soon as a case was transferred there, 99.5% of the time an autopsy would be ordered. These words made us extremely anxious. On April 16th, in the morning, my wife and I went to the Glorious Jewel Buddhist Center to make prostrations before H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche’s Dharma photo. Later, the guru called to say that the matter he had agreed to help us with had already been done, but that since we still had hatred in our hearts, what happened from then on would be up to us. After we returned home, I told my family what the guru had said. For the sake of our child, we all decided to let go of our hatred. Miraculously, that afternoon I received a phone call from the court clerk saying that if there were no further doubts regarding the cause of our child’s death, then the following morning the public procurator would hold a court session to issue us with a death certificate.

On April 17th, we implored H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche to set a cremation date for our child, and the guru advised us that we should have it completed before noon on April 22nd. On the morning of the 22nd, while on our way to the crematorium, the sky opened up into a torrential downpour, but by the time we got there the rain had stopped. When it was time for our son to be cremated, a staff member informed us that because the incineration furnace was rather full, we might have to wait awhile. We felt very anxious then, because we were afraid the cremation procedures might not be finished before midday. However, a little while later, the staff member said to us that the funeral home had had another incineration furnace opened, so our child’s body could be taken there for cremation. After the cremation, his ashes were sent back for temporary safekeeping at the funeral home, and by then it happened to be exactly noon.

Afterward, we shared with our Dharma brothers an account of what our child’s body had looked like. In our foolishness and ignorance, we had not known that all these various phenomena had been signs of the auspicious Phowa performed by the H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche. We are grateful to him for bestowing his own good fortune upon our child.

In the early morning of next day following our boy’s passing, I clearly heard the sound of his laughter, and my wife saw him smiling happily at her in a dream. All along she had blamed herself deeply for his death, because in the wee hours of the night before he died, he had suddenly come down with a high fever, and the following morning she had been unable to get the day off of work to care for him at home. She also dreamed that after he got a fever she was granted the day off and was able to look after him, but that he still died in her arms. Later, when I had an opportunity to report this to H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche, he said that my wife’s dreams were a way of the Buddhas’ and Bodhisattvas’ explaining that the matter was inevitable. He also mentioned that while he was transferring our child’s consciousness, our child had been very happy.

Huang Yizhe’s fifteen-month-old son died a sudden death. Fortunately, he was liberated by Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche’s auspicious Phowa, and this led the entire family to practice the Right Dharma.

At around October of 2009, when my wife was about to have her second baby, the doctor said that because she’d had to have a C-section to give birth the first time, she had no choice but to have the same for the second childbirth as well. In our ignorance, we sought an audience with H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche and reported that we’d already arranged a date for the operation, and asked if the date we’d picked was appropriate. The guru joked about how great it would be if people could choose a date to give birth to a good child. Nevertheless, he still very compassionately blessed my wife and said that it would be better if the day of her C-section were postponed by three days so that the baby could become fully developed. We therefore went to re-schedule a new time for the procedure, and the doctor just happened to have a time slot free three days after the time we’d originally set.

The evening before my wife was to have her C-section, H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche came to the Glorious Jewel Chinese Medicine Clinic to visit. I reported that the next day my wife would undergo a C-section procedure, and implored the guru to bless her so that she would give birth safely. He said she would be fine as long as she visualized him. The first time she gave birth, during her initial contractions, as soon as the doctor was unable to detect the child’s pulse, he worried that the fetus was in trouble, so he had immediately decided to do a C-section. Afterward, my wife had succumbed to a high fever. Mysteriously enough, however, on the morning of her second childbirth, soon after my wife began showing signs of prenatal contractions, she was taken into the operating room, and thanks to H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche’s blessings, everything went extremely smoothly. I am so grateful to the guru for blessing my wife, for keeping both mother and daughter safe, and for bestowing a name upon our baby girl.

One day in early 2010, after we had been participating in the Chod Pujas for nearly a year, a Dharma brother telephoned to inform us that the guru would not allow us to participate in the pujas anymore because we still had not made a firm resolution to learn Buddhism. Only then did I realize that this was indeed true; after our daughter had been born, our lives had gradually gotten better, and we had subsequently forgotten H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche’s benevolence as well as the suffering we’d previously been through when faced with impermanence. We had begun to only hope for a carefree life, and had not made a firm resolution to extend this affinity by cultivating diligently. We are grateful for the guru’s admonishment, for it enabled us to think deeply on the matter and decide to implore to participate in the general pujas, and then take refuge.

When my daughter was about eight months old, she climbed onto the dining table and touched some porridge that had just been heated up in an electric cooker. The porridge burned her forearm and the first three fingers of her left hand, causing a huge blister to form and her fingers to swell up and radiate heat. It was about a second-degree burn. I am grateful to H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche for blowing air on her arm and instructing us to apply herbal ointment on her wounds. After that, she did not feel any pain, and after her injuries healed, no scars were left.

At around March of 2013, my daughter had high fevers repeatedly for an entire week. In the morning her temperature would recede, but by the afternoon it would go back up again. I prescribed some medicine for her, but was still unable to completely get her fever to subside. Later, H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche visited the Clinic while on his rounds, and a Dharma brother, colleague of mine, reported to him what was happening. The guru then told my colleague to call me and ask if any construction was going on out the front of my home. I answered that there was; a sewer was being dug in the street in front of our community, and had been under construction for a few months. Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche instructed us to have some hindrance-eliminating incense and Magic Bull-Horn incense lit continuously for several hours. The next day, my daughter’s fever subsided.

In April of the same year, I gradually began to suffer hair loss, and it got worse and worse. It even spread across my entire scalp, and I had bald spots of various sizes all over my head. I felt very puzzled; I felt no physical discomfort at all, and could not determine the cause of my problem. This continued until the day of the Dragon Boat Festival in June. The guru came over to visit the Clinic, and upon seeing the state of my hair, he asked what kind of pillow I slept on. I told him it was a latex pillow. He instructed me to stop using it, change it out for a new one, and thoroughly wash the pillow case. He said that my hair loss had occurred because after taking patients’ pulses at work, I had not completely washed my hands; after touching my scalp with them, it had been contaminated by germs that were eating the roots of my hair. If I could shave my head, I could prevent my normal hair from snatching up all the nutrients on my bald spots, and applying some herbal ointment on them would give my scalp a chance to recover. I immediately followed the guru’s instructions, and sure enough, my hair gradually began to grow back. At the Clinic, too, I have seen patients with symptoms of such round bald spots. Their condition was not as serious as mine; they only had one or two bald spots. However, it took them six months’ to a year’s treatment to gradually get their hair back. For me to have fully recovered after a few short months, given the severity of my condition, truly was amazing.

Before my father took refuge, he was once exercising in an elementary school playground when he suddenly fainted. He was hospitalized and put in the ICU, and by way of a cardiac catheterization, it was determined that his heart had one more circuit pathway than normal people have, and abnormal electrical discharge had led to arrhythmia. If thermal ablation were used, there was risk of doing damage to the original circuitry, so for the time being that was not being considered. Afterward, he continued to have frequent bouts of arrhythmia, dizziness, and cold sweats. Since taking refuge, thanks to H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche’s blessings, this has only happened to him about once every half year, and luckily he has always been at home when it has happened. He takes a nectar pill the guru bestowed upon him and is able to recover very quickly. My family and I are all very grateful to the guru.

On December 14th, 2013, my father-in-law, who was in the late stages of liver cancer complicated by jaundice and ascites, passed away at around 1:00 in the morning. Because it was the middle of the night, we were unable to inform H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche. What was remarkable, however, was that because my father-in-law’s abdomen had not been drained of ascitic fluid during the last week he was alive, it had swollen greatly, yet early that morning when his body was taken over to the funeral home, the ascites and jaundice had completely disappeared, and there were no traces of any liquid on his bedsheets. When my wife mentioned the matter to the chief physician at the emergency room, he told her that in his clinical experience, he had never seen any deceased person whose ascites or jaundice had simply disappeared like that.

Huang Yizhe, Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine, (first from the right) and his entire family have taken refuge in H.E. Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche.

I am so grateful to H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche. Although I myself am a doctor, in my clinical practice I still come across quite a few diseases whose causes are unknown. The guru’s knowledge of the causes and courses of all ailments amazes me to no end. At the same time, I am also grateful to him for always bestowing upon me pointers in the art of healing and medical theory. Many very complicated and difficult-to-treat cases have been solved thanks to his guidance, none of which could have been done by any university professor.

Finally, I would like to make a public repentance. All that I have now, as well as my career and family, were given by H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche, but I have been ungrateful; I have not been able to concentrate on completely settling into my current job, for I still covet other positions. In my work, I have not done my job from my boss’s standpoint, and I still trouble the guru with many things. I am thankful for his admonishments, for they have taught me that I have had the wrong attitude; I have been an ingrate, only practicing Buddhism in order to obtain protection and blessings, and I have taken advantage of H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche. I have only been superficially respectful toward the guru, yet whenever I have a problem, I shout for his help. When I am fine, however, I have treated him as a fool, and for this I repent.

When my son died suddenly, I still was not a disciple of Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche. Because I was working for the Glorious Jewel Group, though, my son had the affinity and fortune to be liberated by way of the guru’s auspicious Phowa. That was the only reason our entire family was able to be close to the guru and learn to let go; had I been working someplace else, our family would long ago have fallen apart, and we would be dwelling in remorse and hatred forever. Thank you, Your Eminence Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche, for taking care of your employees the same as if they were your disciples. At the same time, I also wish to repent for the fact that when the guru has scolded me, I have given rise to a desire to run away. I have been unwilling to admit to my errors, and am stubbornly prideful. I have even argued with the guru, and for this I repent deeply. I repent that ever since I took refuge, I still have not been able to have complete reverence, faith, and a repentant attitude toward H.E. Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche. I have not been able to completely submit, and have often been opinionated. I repent for all of the disrespectful thoughts I have had toward the guru, both before and after taking refuge.

Given that I am still so ungrateful toward the guru who has shown me such benevolence, how can I be grateful to my parents? I repent for having taken their kindness for granted, and for being disrespectful and contradicting them. Ever since I was little, I have often been a person who strives to be on good terms with everyone. On the surface, I am afraid of offending people, but I actually am scared of getting hurt. I greedily seek others’ approval, and for this I repent. In handling things, I often do not keep my promises and open my mouth without thinking; I repent for this. My mind is often occupied with my own feelings and benefits, and I have not been able to care about others or think on their behalf; as such, if their actions are not in line with my needs or hopes, I have given rise to resentment. For this I repent.

When changing jobs, I have not thanked my previous bosses for the training they imparted upon me. I have been self-righteous, arrogant, and haughty, and thinking my patients belong to me, I have desired to bring the patients I had at my old clinic over to my new one. Little did I know, patients only come to see me because my boss set up the clinic; still I have been ungrateful, and for this I repent. I also repent for all of the cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, sea creatures, and other countless sentient beings I ate while growing up, as well as for those my mother killed in order to satisfy my desire for delicious food.

H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche once said that one of the purposes of establishing the Glorious Jewel Chinese Medicine Clinic was to provide a good environment to people seeking medical treatment, so he spared no expense when selecting the finest medicinal herbs to use. He also hopes that his disciples will be physically healthy so that they can dedicate themselves to their practice. Another purpose was to preserve the tradition of Chinese medicine. However, in my ignorance, I merely regard the Clinic as a place to see patients. Because of H.E. Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche, people trust in Chinese medicine, and are all willing to come to the Clinic for treatment no matter how serious or minor an ailment they have. Otherwise, given the state of the medical establishment out there, traditional Chinese medical practice would practically be reduced to mere treatment of weight loss and soreness, or body maintenance, and when people got sick, their first choice would not be to go to a doctor of Chinese medicine. If this trend were to continue, a lot of traditional Chinese medical knowledge would disappear. Thankfully, every single one of the guru’s thoughts is bent on helping sentient beings.

I am grateful, because the incident of my son’s sudden death gave me the affinity to take refuge in H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche and receive his auspicious teachings. Prior to this, I had worked in the Clinic for four or five years, and had listened to my colleagues and many Dharma brothers share their experiences. I had discounted them all as having nothing to do with me, but as I went from never having considered taking refuge and learning Buddhism to enduring my son’s death and suffering over it, I came to understand the impermanence of life and the dreadfulness of cause, effect, and karma. Had this not happened, I would still be self-righteously craving a comfortable and easy existence, assuming that that was what life was all about. In that case, I would only have been floating along at the mercy of my karma, to say nothing of obtaining the possibility of becoming liberated from life and death.

I am grateful to the guru for tirelessly, constantly bestowing teachings during the pujas every week. They have taught me how deeply my evil habits run, how selfish I have been, and how profound my attachment to self is. I vow to act in accordance with these lessons, to amend my ways, and to make resolutions toward becoming liberated from life and death and benefiting sentient beings. I hope that I can make offerings with a pure and sincere mind to H.E. Vajra Guru Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche so as to repay the debt of gratitude I owe him, the Buddha, my parents, and all sentient beings.

Respectfully written by Disciple Huang Yizhe on August 10th, 2014
Updated on February 24th, 2017

« previous – Return Traces of Liberating Beings Next »

Updated on December 3, 2017