005-A Testimony of Auspicious Blessings

At the end of the year 2002, I went to see the His Eminence Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche at the Glorious Jewel Jewellery Company for the first time. I felt that Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche was a person of amiability, very different from the severe person whom I had long heard about. Thereafter, I requested a copy of the audio recording of the teaching on “Repentance”. Having listened to recording, I found that I had cultivated lots of negative karma without realizing it. Subsequently, I besought Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche to allow me to attend the Chod pujas held on Fridays and the regular teaching pujas on Sundays. However, my repentance was insufficient and this resulted in my absence from the pujas for several months. It wasn’t until June of 2003 that I again besought Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche to let me attend the pujas and hence was granted permission by the compassionate Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche.

At the end of July, the Dharma brother Aifen notified me through the phone that a conversion ceremony would be held on July 27th. I couldn’t make up my mind at the time and kept thinking whether I would seek refuge under a master greater than Song Qili. After contemplating for two days, I eventually went to the Xingtian Temple after work to throw the divinity cups before taking refuge. I wanted to seek the advice of Saintly Emperor Guan, who was said to be quite efficacious. My first question was, “The Glorious Jewel Jewelry Company has notified me of an conversion ceremony. Should I attend it?” For three consecutive throws, I got the indecisive answer of what is called a “Smile.” Therefore, I asked, “Does it mean that I’ll have to decide by myself as to whether I should seek refuge?” It was then that I got a “Yes” answer. I continued, “If I do take refuge, I will not be able to pray at the Xingtian Temple. Will this be ok?” I again got an indecisive “Smile.” Suddenly it occurred to me that I had drawn a lot here at the Xingtian Temple in June. The lot said that I would reach a bumpy road in the future but would meet an honored person. It told me to treasure and follow this person and not to let go of the opportunity. So I asked, “Is Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche the honored person mentioned in the lot?” To this I got a “Yes.” Hence I joyously sought refuge three days later. The reason why I bring this incident up is to let everyone know that even the deities commend a decent practitioner. Furthermore, it is my hope that all sentient beings will have the opportunity to learn and study Buddhism so as to benefit more beings.

After seeking refuge under Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche, I have only received extraordinary benefits from Rinpoche however have not truly accomplished all my responsibilities as a disciple. Not to mention the fact that I haven’t followed my Guru’s instructions at all times. Nonetheless, the Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche compassionately has never given up on me and has even bestowed his blessings to help me overcome obstacles many times. My testimony is as follows:

At the end of 2004, my family decided to sell their house in Tu-chen, so I sought the advice of Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche as to whether we should proceed. My Guru nodded and said that the sooner we could sell it, the better it would be. I was a little confused by what Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche said at that time and it was only later that I learned afterwards that the location of the house had used to be an execution ground. Nevertheless, I followed Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche’s instruction and truthfully informed the Real Estate Department of the Glorious Jewel Group about this message. Two days later, two potential buyers showed up and put a bid in for the house, which was then sold at a price higher than I had expected. This was considered an unprecedented event in the real estate business. At that same time our next door neighbor was also trying to sell their house through another realty agency, However, it remained unsold while we were handing over our property the next February.

Now that the old house was sold, I then started to look for a new home. Having visiting a property I liked, I then sought the advice of Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche again. After meditating, Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche subsequently told me that it was a bit dim around the staircase, so we needed to improve the lighting. In addition, the plumbing in the kitchen was problematic and we might have to remove all of it and reconstruct it from scratch. I examined the plumbing accordingly and found that the gas piping had not been done. Besides this, we had a slow bathroom drain and thus asked the realty agency for repairs. I thought that every problem had been tackled, so I moved into the new home in a hurry before the Chinese New Year. I had been exhausted from the process of selling, buying and moving and finally had the chance to take a break. However, the effects of karma manifested themselves at this time. Heaven only granted me a dinner on Chinese New Year’s Eve, after which my kitchen then began its non-stop leaking from the ceiling, a scene resembling the rainy weather at the time. We needed to use an umbrella or a rain hat whenever we entered the kitchen or went outside. For over a month we lived on take-out meals. To make things worse, we heard from our neighbors that my house could have been made from sea sand and thus become fragile. We were thunderstruck and hence went ask Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche if it really was a building contaminated by sea sand. Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche said that its structure didn’t have any problem. To make it clear, the realty agency had the house examined by an authority and the exam result was normal. Upon hearing this we were relieved at last.

Due to delays in fixing our leak, I was thinking of filing a lawsuit against the realty agency. Thereupon, my Guru severely rebuked me concerning the problem of the house during a puja. Normally, Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche rebukes a disciple during a puja either to point out the disciple’s mistake or to eliminate the karmic obstacles of the disciple. Hence, I intuitively regarded the rebuke from Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche as a blessing. I was still wondering if I would return home and see that the leak in the kitchen stopped, when the real show began.

On February 9, 2004, I was busy with work, the cleaning of my former house and its handing-over. At around ten a.m., I received a phone call from my daughter saying that she had some chest pain. By noon, she couldn’t no longer endure the pain and went to En Chu Kong Hospital in San-xia on her own. At about three p.m., she called and told me that the doctor wanted to hospitalize her at once because she had developed severe pneumothorax. I hurried to the hospital and called an ambulance to have her transferred to the Shin Kong Wu Ho-Su Memorial Hospital. The reason I had done that was because there was a Dharma brother working as a clinic doctor at the Shin Kong Hospital. I felt more secure in his presence and the hospital was located conveniently in the vicinity of our home and my workplace which would allow me to look after my daughter easily. As the ambulance sounded its siren all the way and finally reached the Shin Kong Hospital, upon our arrival the doctor on duty in the ER consulated with a pulmonologist and examined the x-ray photo taken at the En Chu Kong Hospital. They shook their heads and asked, “Where is the patient?” I said, “In the toilet.” They gasped saying that with such a serious condition, she should have lost the ability to move herself and would have only been able lie in bed. How was it that she could go to the toilet by herself? Hence, when my daughter returned, she was immediately sent to the operation room and underwent tube insertion. Her surgery was scheduled for two days later and a septum was subsequently placed in her chest to prevent any future recurrences. On the day of the surgery, I waited outside the operation room with my mother and my daughter’s boyfriend and recited the Six Mani Mantra, contemplating that Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche was bestowing his blessing upon my daughter. In this contemplation it seems as if I could see Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche himself, dressed in black, walk straight into the operation room in the company of two Dharma brothers.

The long wait finally came to an end. That day a total of three young people had underwent the same surgical operation. My daughter’s surgery was conducted successfully, whereas further medical attention was required for the other two. Had it not been for the blessings of Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche, my daughter would have had to face the threat of death. According to the doctor’s previous remarks, my daughter would have died if she had arrived at the hospital an hour later. It’s here that I’d like to express my sincere appreciation for the assistance and attention of the doctors, as well as the care that the Dharma brothers delivered to us.

In September of 2005, I had virtues and merits as well as the causes and conditions to follow Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche on behalf of all sentient beings while Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche called upon His Holiness in India. Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche considered His Holiness’s fatigue from traveling for the sake of sentient beings, and thereby made arrangements for His Holiness to take a tour and rest a few days in India before His Holiness went to retreat. However, Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche himself did not take a rest at all. Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche’s burden became even heavier because Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche was continually paying attention to the safety of Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche’s thirty disciples that were accompanying Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche. Upon our arrival at the Delhi airport at four a.m., we walked out of the terminal and saw our Guru at the baggage claim area waiting for us disciples. Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche gave individual blessings to each disciple and then went to the hotel for some rest. During the following days, we constantly saw Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche accompany His Holiness and look back at us once in a while, just as a father will turn his eyes towards his children from time to time to see if they are lost or have gotten themselves in trouble. All I can say is that I was deeply touched. Even during the last day in Delhi, Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche received some Indians at the hotel and didn’t have the time to rest at all.

On the third day of the trip, we stayed in Jaipur. That night I dreamed that my Guru had bestowed blessings on my neck. In fact, during the previous two or three months, I had discovered that the lymph nodes on my neck had enlarged. They had enlarged once before during my high school years and they had only disappeared after I received treatment for several months. My grandmother and aunt had passed away due to this very medical condition, so I got a bit frightened thinking that this was a manifestation of my karma. Nonetheless, upon thinking that the Gurus of the Lineage, Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche and the Dharma protectors would provide refuge to me, I had fear no more. I then dreamed that Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche granted me his blessings. After bestowing his blessing for a while, I saw that Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche appear to be leaving and implored Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche to stay with me. After waking I could only remember that Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche was wearing beige pants and brown casual shoes in the dream, as to what happened after was really unclear. Searching my neck the next morning, I found that the lymph nodes were barely there and I could only feel a larger one that was still greatly diminished. Of major surprise was that the clothes Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche wore on the last day of the trip in India closely resembled those he had worn in my dream.

Rinchen Dorjee Rinpoche’s compassion and the power of blessings for all sentient beings is marvelous. It is my utmost virtues to be able to follow a Guru that has such great compassion and wisdom. May more sentient beings have the fortune to be taken care of by my Guru!

By Minfen, salute with putting palms together

Updated on February 7, 2009